- 1 1. Britax Römer Evolva Baby Car Seat
- 2 2. Britax Römer Eclipse Group 1 Car Seat
- 3 3. Graco Junior Maxi Lightweight Booster Car Seat
- 4 4. Graco Affix Highback Booster Group
- 5 5. Britax Römer Adventure Car Seat
- 6 6. Maxi-COSI Axiss Group Car Seat
- 7 7. Maxi-COSI Tobi Group 1 Car Seat
- 8 8. Recaro Young Sport Group Car Seat
- 9 9. Cybex Pallas-Fix, Toddler Car Seat
- 10 10. Britax Römer Duo Plus Car Seat
If you have landed on this page, you are probably looking for the best baby car seat for the new arrival in your house. While many of us buy a baby car seat because we fear the rules and the cops and better escape trouble, a baby car seat is much more than just a rule. In fact, it is a mandate to put your baby in the car seat only because it ensures safety on the unpredictable roads.
Infant car seats are safety harnesses that cushion your baby against any bumps on the road and also in the misfortunate occurrence of an accident. They also ensure proper posture for the child on the go and make it easy for you to carry them from car to inside and vice versa.
It may, however, get pretty overwhelming to choose the perfect one for your family with so many options out there. Overall these years of my experience with families of little kids, I have observed that some of them just buy the most readily available variant without putting in a lot of thought.
The 10 Best Baby Car Seats to buy in the UK
It is very important to consider multiple factors including weight limits, suitability for your car, harness system, safety Considerations etc. before investing in a baby car seat. In this article, I will try to help you make an informed decision when it comes to buying an infant car seat in the UK.
- Deep and soft padded side wings
- Grows with your child- can be easily switched till baby of 36 kg
- Smooth and multi-level reclining
- Easy height and harness adjustments with one hand only
- Simple installation of the belt up to 3 points
- Completely made in Europe
- Tested at company’s own crash-test center
- Manufactures with ‘made with care’ philosophy
- Excel products in terms of less usage of chemicals
- Two models available
- Evolve 1-2-3 plus: adjustable seat
- Evolve 1-2-3 SL SICT: made with excellent Side Impact Cushion Technology and installed with Soft latch Isofix
- Britax Romer works with renowned car manufacturers like Porsche, Volvo, and Mercedes-Benz
- Simple installation up to 3 point seat belt
- TUV certified and safe for aircraft travel
- Lightweight can be easily transferred from one place to another
- Multi recline positions
- Easy adjustments can be made without disturbing the child
- Superior protection
- Pitch control system
- Manufactured with safe side impacts
- Optimum cushioned for chest
- Padded crotch buckle
- Made for children 15-36 kg
- Full back coverage for a supportive ride
- 2 hideaway cup holders to keep beverages
- Adjustable armrests for comfort
- Convenient adjustment with a single hand only
- Lightweight and durable
- Open loop belt for correct positioning of the baby
- Highback booster offers multiple security features
- The seat cover is machine washable
- Rigorously tested to meet UK and Europe safety parameters
- Engineered with energy absorbing foam
- ISO catch connectors to keep the seat in place
- Adjustable headrest
- For children 3 to 10 years
- Side impact protection
- Hideaway storage compartments
- Integrated cup holders
- Offers comfortable traveling
- Cushioned seat
- Machine washable fabric
- Reclining option
- Easy cleaning with a damp cloth
- Advanced protection system
- Easy self-buckling for independent children
- Energy absorbing foam
- Breathable fabric
- Cleverly positioned seat belt for easy installation
- Side impact protection
- Highback booster safety
- Easy pull out storage tray and drink holder
- Lightweight seat
- Ergonomically designed for infants
- Multiple height positions
- Painless adjustments
- 3 point secure seat belt
- Correct positioned for child’s pelvis and shoulder
- Detachable padded cover
- Easy to transfer from one place to another
- Limited designing with seat belt guides
- 90-degree swivel for easy getting in out of the toddler from the car
- Uses car seat belt
- Integrated with belt tensioner to ensure a safe fixture
- Harness and headrest adjustments with a single hand only
- Suitable for infants 9 to 18 kg
- Installed with 3 point seat belt
- Color indicators for effortless functioning
- Features 8 different reclining positions
- Extra padded seat, armrest, and headrest
- Extendable length of belt straps
- Simple installation
- Installation with car’s seat belt
- Integrated belt tensioner for a sturdy fit
- Loaded with spring
- Buckling the toddler is easy
- One hand harness and headrest adjustment
- 5 effortless and comfortable reclining positions
- Ideal for inquisitive toddlers to give a nice view out of the car
- Accessible spring operated the handle
- Adjustments can be done without disturbing the infant
- Forward facing 3 point car seat belt
- Sturdy installation in the car
- Color indicators on the buckle to ensure child safety
- Available for infants weighing 9 to 36 kg
- Easy to install
- 5 point harness adjustment
- Full side impact security and comfort
- Removable seat cushion
- Harness cover with comfortable padding
- Height adjustable harness
- Energy absorbing harness
- 3-way adjustable headrest
- Simple to fasten and tighten the belt
- Comfortable seat with good air circulation
- Torso wings attached for extra safety
- Carry handle on top for easy transportation
- High quality and breathable seat material
- Impact shield to avoid neck injuries
- Provides safety without confining the child
- Optimised laser side impact protection
- 12 position height adjustments
- Ensures perfect fit and optimum safety
- East to fold and compatible with any car
- ISOFIX points
- Reduces the impact of accidents
- Harness safeguards the child
- Adjustable and safety cushions tailored for child’s body
- 3 simple reclining positions
- Revolutionary technology that prevents the child’s head from falling forward
- 3 position headrest that ensures optimum comfort and rest
- Thickly padded
- ISOFIX compatible
- 3 point belt installation system
- Comfort without any compromise
- Deep padded wings
- Multi reclining positions
- Pivot link system to avoid forward movements
- 5 point harness adjustment system
- Removable cover
- High-performance chest padding
- Lightweight can be transported easily
- Flexible and convenient installation
Why do you need a baby car seat?
Below are some uses of a child car seat that make it an indispensable purchase for your baby:
- To protect your baby from injury in case of a collision: In case of an accident when the vehicle faces a collision with another object such as a tree or another vehicle, the sudden stop will not stop the bodies in motion due to inertia. This causes the bumps and jerks in case of a sudden halt. A baby’s body doesn’t have the control to hold itself, nor is it possible that someone holding the baby will keep the grip in case of a sudden and powerful jerk. This can cause the baby to collide and get injured.
- To maintain proper body posture: Different car seats are designed for different ages to perfectly accommodate the body of the kid, so a perfect posture is maintained. In case of holding them in your lap or laying on the seat, the posture can majorly go for a toss. This may cause orthopedic ailments or muscle pains.
- To stay hands-free: Let us be reasonable, it is not possible to envisage on long road trips with a baby on your lap. It is painful as well as impractical for both the caregiver and the baby. A car seat offers you the much-deserved respite from carrying them.
- Normal seat belts can be dangerous: Even we as adults always fasten the seatbelts when on the go in a car. However tempted you may be, it is quite dangerous to put a child in the same seatbelt. This can be a major strangulation hazard as well as the inadequate Car seats, on the other hand, come with a proper harness system designed specifically with the baby ergonomics in mind.
- Better peace for the driver: Let us face it, toddlers can be quite active and distracting all the while. Such distractions on the road may cost lives. A car seat is thus necessary, so the driver can focus on the driving.
Characteristics to look for while buying a baby car seat:
While adherence to safety regulations is a bare minimum for every car seat to be Considered as an option, there are several other points to Consider before buying the perfect kids car seat. Before choosing the right one, it is important to know about the types of car seats available in the market.
Car seats differ based on the state laws, there are broadly 3 categories of kids’ car seats based on stages of a child’s life and offer different Features. Mostly, the infants are required to be put in rear-facing car seats whereas toddlers can be put in the rear as well as a front-facing car seat if they fall under the specified limits of height and weight. Older children can be put in booster seats.
Here are the broad categories that the baby car seats fall in:
- Infant car seats: These newborn car seats can be used upto 22-35 pounds of weight and face the rear.
- Convertible car seats: Once your baby outgrows the newborn stage, he/she needs to be put in a convertible car seat that is perfect for toddlers. This can be interchanged between the front facing as well as rear facing. The front-facing position is adequate to hold kids upto 60-65 pounds of weight.
- Booster seat: This is the transition of your child from a kids’ car seat to the regular seat belts meant for adults. These are designed for kids above 4 years of age and offer height hike while in the regular seat of the car. A shoulder belt is used to secure the child in place.
While choosing a car seat for your family do not just go by the price. You must Consider other factors such as canopy size, ease of installation, additional safety Features etc.
Preloved Car seats: It may not be a good idea to buy a used car seat from someone you don’t know. A preloved baby car seat may come with compromised safety. You must keep in mind the expiration date of the car seat, the recall history of the model if any etc. Yes, you read that right, car seats expire too.
Suitability for your car: Every car seat model is different in terms of build and size. You must choose an option that fits your car. I have known many families that have chosen the biggest possible and fancy car seat that never fitted well in their tiny car. You can also Consider buying different car seat bases if you plan to switch cars.
Choosing if an infant car seat is necessary: As a family that is bringing home a newborn, you are probably too dominated by expenses. While a convertible may look like an ideal option, an infant car seat comes with its own set of advantages. It prevents you from waking your sleeping worm by allowing you to pick up the complete seat than unbuckling the baby. It can also serve as a baby bed when you are in a gathering or at someone else’s place.
Infant seat and stroller compatibility: If you decide in favour of buying an infant seat, it is a value-add to buy one that is compatible with the stroller. You can also choose the stroller first and then a matching seat from the same manufacturer. You can also invest in a travel system i.e a set of the car seat and a stroller. Separate adapters are also available if you purchase the car seat and stroller separately and they are not compatible.
Here are some good to know tips while using a child car seat
- Make sure the car seat is installed in the rear seat of a car
- Deactivate the airbags if you use a booster seat in the front seat of the car.
- Always follow the manufacturer instructions of age and weight
- Take regular stopovers on a long journey to prevent the baby from tiring
- Use a car seat even for short distances
- Always keep the car seat properly secured in the car even if you are not using it
- Do not use second-hand car seats from people you don’t know
A baby car seat is probably the first and the most important investment you make for your baby. Make sure that you do not take a decision in haste and opt for a model that not only suits your budget but fulfills all important criteria to be a safe option. Remember, if you are going to share the responsibilities among family members, ensure the compatibility of the seat with every car that it is going to be used in. The above analysis will help you choose your options and take the right decision.